




I am going through so much right now trying to get business going for me. It seems that lots of people like my photos and want to work with me, they just want it for free. I have done a lot of shoots for free. I feel my work is worth more than free. I feel like my work is worth more than Walmart, I feel that my work is worth more than Sears or Penney's or Kiddie Candids or Portrait Innovations. I am not worth the awesome people out there who have been in business for years and have awards and schooling and the likes, but I am worth some of those people who are making good money and not taking very good pictures. For example my sister in law paid 2,000 for a photo session with a proffessional recommended by Elite. I had a photo session with her. I think my pictures are equal or better than the shots she was given. I am not charging 2,000 for a session. What is hard is people do not understand that there is more to it than just going out and shooting a few photos. There is hours invested in finishing the product. There is time taken away from my kids and husband to do a "job" as anyone would do in an office and get paid for. If I ask for 50 for a session I end up making less than minimum wage and that is still too much to ask? I know that places like Kiddie Kandids and Portrait Innovations do not charge sitting fees, BUT they make it up in print prices! Our last trip to Portrait Innovations a few years ago cost us over 200 dollars. I may ask for a sitting fee but you will pay less than any of the studios in prints! I want this to be my full time job, I want to support my family on my terms and be happy with what I do, I do not want to go back to work for someone else which is going to have to happen shortly. Lance is starting his masters degree this fall and we need to compensate for our income. I can't keep working for free. I m worth more than 50 dollar sessions even. I do not mean to vent, I am just getting really frusterated at teh NO response when you send a price list to someone after they completly love your work and contact you. Here are a few more photos from recent sessions you be the judge of my work and what I am worth! These photos were all paid for shoots. Aside from my one model who did a Time for Photo shoot and paid my gas money to her side of town. There are so many more photos I could put here. I wish it wasn't so difficult. I am trying to get my new camera and I can't make the money if everyone wants to shoot for free. While I am thankful for the talent, I am taking this beyond hobby now! I have 2 more models who are going to pay and I will post their shoots next month! :) Hopefully I will have a good Christmas shooting season. I do have a few family shoots set up as well. :)
My next post is before and afters..... the time it takes to edit and make a photo beautiful!
No comments:
Post a Comment